Monday, June 6, 2011

Star baby blanket

My friend, Ally, had her 3rd precious baby boy last week. As I mentioned in my earlier posts, I've started making a blanket for my little boy, but I decided to add to the squares I'd already done to make a baby blanket for Ally's new baby.




I used a pattern from Issue 25 of The Art of Crochet .It was pretty easy to make. I'm surprised at how simple crochet is! Most patterns only consist of a handful of the same stitches, just in different combinations. I wish I had retaught myself how to do it when my children were babies - I would have loved to have had blankets like these for them. Actually I do have a few large granny square blankets that my mum made for them when they were babies, which I plan to hold onto forever :)

For the star blanket I used Lincraft Superwash Wool in blue, lime and cream. I used about 2.5 balls of each colour, which was enough to make all 36 squares, join them and add the border around the blanket.



I just love these colours together - so... well so boyish! Time to restock so I can start on my son's blanket. His is going to be a little different. For starters, MUCH bigger as he is almost 8yrs old! The stars are only going to be an accent on his and there will be a few more colours - red, a couple of different shades/tones of blue, stone/beige... I can't wait to get started on it. But it will have to wait just a little longer. First I need to get through a week of prac teaching this week for uni (one day down, four more to go), as well as write a 2500 word essay due next week! Bring on uni holidays :)

8 comments:

Mel Goodsell said...

That looks so beautiful and I agree, the colours are totally boyish.
That's so nice of you to finish it off for your friend :) She's lucky!
Mel x

MARTA said...

That blanket is so beautiful! I love these colours together.
Marta

priscilla said...

I really like the stars and the colors you used ! very nice !

Sharon said...

I really like the colors and the star pattern. Any suggestions as to how I can get a hold of the pattern in the US? I would love to crochet this star pattern for my son. Thanks! =D

Unknown said...

I have just popped over from Apples and pears and thought i would say hello. You have a sweet blog. Such a beautiful blanket and pretty colours. I will pop back again real soon. Enjoy the rest of your week, dee x

Ramblings by Renee said...

Jas, I love your star blanket! It's beautiful (in a boyish way!) It's hard to make projects that involve yarn truly boyish - but you have pulled it off with style! I can't wait to see Mr 8's blanket! Big hugs! Nay

Meagz said...

I can't get this pattern anywhere and I love it. I can't get the magazine either because I'm in the US.

Madonna M said...

Hi, I am in the same US boat and would love this pattern to crochet a baby boy blanket for some friends of mine too! Any suggestions would be welcome. Many thanks! Madonna