Sunday, June 26, 2011

Soup Sunday

We eat a lot of soup in our house in the cooler months. I love soup and so do my often picky-eater children. It's a nice healthy way to warm up on a cold day - I often heat up some soup for an after school snack. So I'm thinking of maybe starting a semi-regular feature here on my blog  - Soup Sunday. Semi-regular because my schedule changes a lot once uni starts again - I'm on break for a few weeks now :) This might encourage me to keep on trying out new recipes - which I have been doing lately - instead of just sticking with the same old ones.

So to kick off Soup Sunday I am sharing a recipe for Chicken Wonton Soup that I made last night - recipe from July 2011 Issue of Super Food Ideas. It was so quick and easy to make - although my wonton folding technique needs a little ok a LOT of work :) Which is why there is only a before photo of the wontons. Just so there is proof that I actually made them - I was too embarrassed to show them folded though! Don't be put off though - it was a really simple soup to make and is a nice change from regular chicken and vegetable soup.  It would be really easy to experiment with the flavours too. I'm thinking next time maybe pork mince with some hoisin or kejap manis with garlic and ginger might be nice to try. I'll definitely be searching the internet for some wonton folding tutorials! We normally have some kind of bread or damper with our soup, but this time we had mini spring rolls on the side instead which was really nice.

Chicken Wonton Soup
Ingredients
250g chicken mince
24 wonton wrappers
4 spring onions
4cm piece of ginger
1 litre chicken stock
2 cups water
3 bunches baby bok choy
Sesame oil to serve

Finely chop 2 of the spring onions and finely grate half of the ginger and add them to the chicken mince.
Mix together really well.
Add a heaped teaspoon of chicken mixture to the centre of a wonton wrapper, brush the edges of the pastry with a little water and fold to enclose chicken completely. Be sure to remove as much air as possible from inside the wonton and seal the edges well or you'll have the contents of the wontons all through the soup.
Cover wontons and set aside while you prepare the soup.


Pour chicken stock into a large saucepan along with the water.
Finely slice the remaining ginger and add to the stock.
Bring stock to the boil.
While stock is heating, finely slice remaining onions on an angle and slice the bok choy.
When stock has come to the boil, reduce to a simmer and add wontons and cook gently for 5 minutes or until cooked through.
Just before serving add onions and bok choy to the soup.
Serve with a few drops of sesame oil in each bowl. Serves 4

No comments: