Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hummingbird Slice

I can't remember where this recipe comes from, but it's become a fave in our house the past couple of years. I've made it so many times now I can almost do it without looking at the recipe card. It's a great recipe if you have a couple of ripe bananas that need to be used. In fact I think that's why I first tried baking it - I was getting a bit sick of banana bread. Never thought I'd be sick of banana bread! Actually, I'm not sure if I've posted my recipe for banana bread here. I will check the archives and add it if I haven't already :)

Anyway, onto Hummingbird Slice!

Ingredients
1 cup self raising flour
1/3 cup plain flour
1tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup dessicated coconut
450g can crushed pineapple (unsweetened), drained
2 large ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp finely grated orange zest (substitute for lemon, lime or a combination if you prefer)


Icing:
125g cream cheese
1 - 1.5 cups icing sugar mixture
1 tsp finely grated orange zest (substitute for lemon or lime as above)
2 tbs freshly squeezed orange juice (or lemon, or lime)


Preheat oven to 180 degC/160 C with fan.
Grease and line a 26x 16cm slice pan.
Sift flours and cinnamon into a large bowl. Stir in sugar and coconut then drained pineapple, banana and combined eggs, oil and zest.
Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Cool for 15 minutes in the pan then turn out onto a rack to cool completely. Spread icing on cooled slice and cut into approx 20 pieces.
Optional - sprinkle some extra dessicated coconut (or shredded as I have used) over the iced slice.


Icing

Beat all ingredients together until smooth. Adjust sugar, juice and zest quantities to taste.

Voila!

No comments: